[OPE-L:5537] Re: archives

zarembka@acsu.buffalo.edu
Sat, 27 Sep 1997 05:24:52 -0700 (PDT)

** Reply to note from ope-l@anthrax.ecst.csuchico.edu Fri, 26 Sep 1997 11:54:32 -0700 (PDT)

> IMPORTANT NOTE: JERRY, **PLEASE** DO NOT READ THIS POST. ONE PART OF IT
> COULD RAISE YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE. I'M NOT TRYING TO BE SARCASTIC -- JUST
> STRAIGHTFORWARD. IT'S NOT A MATTER OF LIFE-AND-DEATH THAT YOU READ IT, BUT
> YOUR HEALTH *IS*.

Andrew, if there is every a way to give a guy a second heart attack it is
to put such a "all-caps" posting on top an e-mail! Jesus Christ!

.

> As we see, even the procedure that I followed has not been sufficient to
> dispel the suspicion that (a) has indeed occurred. This is, IMHO, a very
> strong argument for opening the archives. It would be different were the
> folks who debate with us on this list to debate the issues in public,
> published forums as well. Then we could cite published work, and *one* reason
> for opening the archives would be taken care of.

Are you playing a game? Publish something, cite a "closed e-mail
discussion list", when that gets criticized, you say, "ha, ha, I told you
all along the list should be open."

> ...had I been permitted to name names, it would have been
> approriate for those I named to fail to acknowledge that they had said what I
> reported.

Nobody has told you you could not ask an individual for permission to cite
an opinion and you don't need to cite the list. For example, if you want
to cite XYZ from Ajit Sinha, you write Ajit Sinha, "may I, in my article to
be published in ABC, cite you as having written on e-mail 'XYZ'".

Paul

Paul Zarembka, supporting the RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY Web site at
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka and using OS/2 Warp.