[OPE-L:5671] Re: the labour of cats

aramos@aramos.bo
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 11:49:49

Re Jerry's PIAF:

> Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 19:55:03 -0500 (EST)
> From: Gerald Levy <glevy@pratt.edu>
> To: ope-l@galaxy.csuchico.edu
> Subject[OPE-L:5671] : the labour of cats

> A very interesting point, Ale. If general is the negation of any
> particular thing, isnt abstract the negation of concrete?
> Moreover, if there is no "general cat", how can there be abstract
> labour? Is abstract labour, then, merely a "Platonic
> abstraction"?

Jerry, I think this is a false analogy. In a commodity producing
society there are different kinds of (concrete) labors and, at the
same time, all of them are part of a totality, social (abstract)
labor. This is so because, actually all labors, though indirectly,
are inteconnected between them. There is not such a "totality" of
cats and, therefore, there is not an "general" or "abstract cat."

In a commodity producing society, money, as GENERAL commodity
expresses externally the this GENERAL or ABSTRACT labor. Labor as
represented by money has no distinction at all, neither qualitative,
nor quantitatively.

Alejandro Ramos