[OPE-L:5758] Re: neo-classical economics

Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 11:17:48 -0500 (EST)

Thanks a lot to Claus and David and others for their very interesting and
helpful responses to my query about the origins of the terms neo-classical
economics. It is a surprise to learn the Veblen is the originator of the
term! Apparently on the grounds that both classical and neo-classicals
emphasized "hedonistic psychology". I am going to take another look at
Veblen on this. I have never understood his (and Mitchell's) emphasis on
the hedonistic psychology in classical economics. Maybe Smith a little
bit and of course Bentham, but I have never seen this as central to
classical economics. There are no utility functions in classical
economics and no essential psychology of any kind, as I understand it.
Anybody have any thoughts on this?

I have also learned that the author of the New Palgrave piece mentioned by
Claus - Tony Aspromourgos - has an article on this subject in the
Cambridge Journal (1986, no. 3), which should be interesting.

I have also learned that apparently Garegnani and his followers prefer the
term "marginalists" to distinguish them more clearly from the classicals.

Thanks again. I can't wait for my Thought class next week!

Comradely,
Fred