[OPE-L:5778] [JURRIAAN] Neo-liberalism

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 18:06:05 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 16:32:53 +0100
From: jurriaan bendien <Jbendien@globalxs.nl>
Subject: [OPE-L:5778] Re: Neo-liberalism

Fred Moseley raised a question about neo-classical economics. Since we are
on the subject of neo's and neologisms, I would very much like to know from
OPE-L correspondents more about the original meaning of the term
"neo-liberalism" and what is really "neo" about it. Specifically what would
be definitive of "neo-liberal economics", as distinct from "liberal
economics", apart from vulgarities such as that "state intervention is
always bad" and "more market is always good" ? Would it be correct to see
Milton Friedman's Freedom to Choose as a clear statement of
"neo-liberalism" ?

Jurriaan Bendien.