[OPE-L:5800] Re: Toni Negri Update

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 18:30:14 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 00:00:00 +0000
From: Thomas Atzert <t.atzert@LINK-F.rhein-main.de>
Subject: [OPE-L:5800] AUT: re: news on Toni Negri

According to an article in the newspaper il manifesto (some days ago) Toni
Negri's prospects of being released from prison quickly or at least to be
allowed to leave prison during the day and to return in the evening are
worse than at the time he returned to Italy.
I'm in contact with Toni Negri by letter and he wrote about his
possibilities to work, but also about a certain lack of discussion and
also of political conflict that characterized his time in prison after
1979.

As Toni Negri pointed out it is an european level on which we have to
bundle our efforts and work for a political solution for all political
prisoners. In Italy the campaign (of former autonomia and br militants as
well as centri sociali) for the freedom of the political prisoners and the
possibility for the exiles to return didn't so far achieve an acceleration
of the process of legislation regarding an amnesty law. The parliamentary
debate about this law came to a halt. The extraparliamentary movement
nevertheless does some great propaganda.
If you are able to read some italian, you might be interested in the
homepage of the campaign
http://www.ecn.org/rete.sprigionare/

As you might also know there has been started a hunger strike of prisoners
in several italian prisons, led by Rebibbia prisoners.

More information on Toni Negri and on the international campaign for his
freedom you may also find in french at
http://www.anet.fr/~aris/ecn/infoszone/solidarite/negri01.html
There the french comrades give also the list of the 1007 signatures that
have been published in french newspapers and were presented to the
european parliament.

Thomas Atzert