[OPE-L:5830] problems with the CSU server (and mgt.)

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:46:03 -0500 (EST)

Allin wrote on 12 Dec 1997, Allin Cottrell wrote:

> Apparently the listserv has recently been reconfigured, in such a way
> that the default when you're replying is to mail to the poster rather
> than the list. This is quite inconvenient. Any chance of getting it
> changed?

There might be. There was a similar problem on PEN-L and somehow it got
straightened-out. (Michael P?)

There are, however, additional problems with the server and server mgt.:

1) There has been no progress on returning our headers/post ID system.
This is the case even though the CSU Server Manager was forwarded very
explicit directions from the CREN Listprocessor Mgt. about how to do it.
(btw, I believe this is a factor which has diminished list volume).

2) Somehow the list has been re-configured so that you can subscribe with
a "subscribe" message, i.e. list owner confirmation is not required (a
potentially very troublesome situation).

3) Most importantly, the CSU Server Manager, Kevin Batt, has been very
unresponsive to my requests for help -- indeed, he has not even answered
my recent messages to him. We never had that sort of problem when Philip
Chao was Server Manager at CSU. Apparently, the new Server Manager feels
no obligation to communicate with list owners.

Perhaps it is time for us to start looking for another home (i.e. another
server).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

In solidarity, Jerry