[OPE-L:5867] Re: Hello and Kliman's cat

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 12:52:38 -0500 (EST)

Paul C wrote on Thu, 18 Dec:

> I would assert them to be communist, at least in their original form
> prior to Thatchers 'reforms' on the grounds that:
> 1. the product did not take the form of a commodity.

Neither does public education.

> 2. the product is distributed on the basis of need rather than
> ability to pay.

Ditto for public education.

> 3. all working individuals contribute to the cost of the health service
> by a deduction from their take home pay, as per Critique of the Gotha
> Program.

All working individuals, and others as well, contribute to the cost of
public education (in the US) through federal, state, and local taxes.

(aside to Paul Z: did you realize that you have been teaching at a
communist university all these years?).

In solidarity, Jerry