[OPE-L:5870] Re: Hello and Kliman's cat

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 12:53:33 -0500 (EST)

Terry wrote on Fri, 19 Dec:

> The various objections to the domestic mode of production do not seem
> to me to be sustainable.

If the domestic mode of production is distinct and separable from the
capitalist mode of production, then the characteristic features of the
domestic MOP can be eliminated (or eroded to mere vestiges) under the
capitalist MOP. If, however, domestic labor and patriarchy are
integrally connected to the reproduction of *capitalist* social
relations, then this is not possible so long as the capitalism MOP is
dominant.

Perhaps what we need to do is tease out the relationship between the
domestic sector (or what you call the domestic MOP) and capitalism.

In solidarity, Jerry

PS: I apologize in advance for not answering everyone who has contributed
to this thread.