From: owner-ope-l@galaxy.csuchico.edu on behalf of riccardo bellofiore
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 1998 10:18 AM
To: ope-l@galaxy.csuchico.edu
Subject: Re: Spirito di Bergamo

Riccardo wrote:

"But this way of speaking clarifies what I sees as a problem: the logic of
'us' ['Marxians'] and
'them' [others]. May be it is the logic of IWGVT, and it is quite sensible."

As co-organizer of the International Working Group on Value Theory (IWGVT), I
wish to emphasize that this is definitely NOT its "logic." On the contrary,
we have never wished to limit the group to "Marxians" and, as Riccardo and
others may remember, Alan and I rejected the suggestion made at the end of
last year's IWGVT mini-conference that the mini-conference should be limited
to "us" ("Marxists") and should exclude "outsiders."

The Call for Papers for this year's conference and our other publicity states:

The IWGVT aims to promote PLURALISTIC debate on
concepts of value, seeking particularly -- but
not exclusively -- to deepen the discussion of
value concepts appropriate to dynamic analysis,
and to end the unacceptable exclusion of the
value theory of Karl Marx from existing debates.

... We conclude that the discussion on value
should re-open WITHOUT THE PRESUPPOSITION OF ANY
ESTABLISHED STANDARD, TRADITION OR SOURCE OF
AUTHORITY REGARDING EITHER VALUE OR MARX.

The IWGVT defends NO particular theory of value
beyond arguing that the concept itself is
indispensable. It does believe it is possible to
assess the merits of contesting theories in debate.
It seeks to create an atmosphere for this debate --
which does not at present exist -- such that
ALL VALUE THEORIES, AND ALL READINGS OF VALUE
THEORISTS, MAY DISCUSS ON AN EQUAL FOOTING,
REFERRING IN THEIR SUPPORT NEITHER TO EVIDENCE OF
AUTHORITY NOR CONVICTION OF DOCTRINE all value
theories, and all readings of value theorists, may
discuss on an equal footing, referring in their
support neither to the evidence of authority nor
the conviction of doctrine but to reasoned and
logical discussion based on textual evidence for
readings and factual evidence for theories.
[caps added]

This is what we say. This is what we mean. This is what we practice.
In addition to those who call themselves Marxists, this year's
mini-conference will include two panelists who identify with the
post-Keynesian tradition, one who identifies himself as a "Sraffian,"
and a financial economist whose work, to my knowledge, is not part of
any "school." (We also invited economists who identify with the Austrian
tradition to participate.) There may be other panelists, too, who do
not identify themselves as Marxians, but since I'm not in the habit of
administering ideological litmus tests and since, frankly, I couldn't
care less about the labels people apply to themselves, I'm not sure.

Andrew Kliman