Re: costs of unproductive labor

jurriaan bendien (Jbendien@globalxs.nl)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 23:26:05 +0100

I think it's useful to distinguish, as SNA does, between different sorts of
accounts, like the product account, the income and outlay account, the
capital account and so on.
The dispute concerning expenditure on unproductive labour concerns the
question of whether this expenditure should be accounted for in the value
of the product (c+v+s) as a component of new surplus-value created or as a
component of constant capital used up (transferred value). For the purpose
of calculating the true general profit rate, we need to estimate the stock
of circulating capital, in its variable and constant components (and in
constant components I suggested we include expenditure on unproductive
labour). The difficulty is, although some information is available on
inventories of raw materials etc., how do you estimate "stock levels" of
the capital tied up in wages, what sorts of assumptions do you make, for
example about production periods, stock rotations and turnovers. We know
for instance that generally speaking employers do not tie up (hold in
reserve) the entire annual expenditure of wages, this expenditure is
partially recouped from current income. We can also get an idea of
turnovers (stock rotations) by dividing intermediate consumption by the
average stock level during the year. Most writers avoid the problem
altogether though and simply calculate profit rates as the ratio of surplus
value to the value of fixed capital assets (given that normally the outlay
on fixed capital dwarfs the outlay on wages or inventories).

Regards

Jurriaan.