[OPE-L] Re: Spirito di Bergamo

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 19:29:00 -0500 (EST)

I've been out-of-town since Monday.

On Mon, 19 Jan , Alan wrote:

> Are we assuming that only Marxists are invited onto OPE?

No.

> Or are we assuming
> that non-Marxists won't want to join?

No.

> Can either assumption be questioned,
> even a little bit?

Yes.

Calling oneself a "Marxist" is not a requirement for membership. In the
most general terms, I believe there is broad agreement on the list that we
should have a list that is characterized by *diversity*. This means that
we should have a list that is diversified both in terms of international
representation and gender and theoretical perspective and "area of
expertise"/research interests. One consequence of the above, is that we
most certainly can (and indeed have!) subscribed members who do not
consider themselves to be Marxist (e.g. former member Steve Keen).

In solidarity, Jerry