[OPEL:6159] Re: L] Re: Quantifying value

Murray Smith (msmith@SPARTAN.AC.BROCKU.CA)
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 13:05:48 -0500 (EST)

I don't think that this is a naive suggestion at all, Jerry. Indeed, in my
own original work on the Canadian economy, I calculated the Marxian ratios
on the basis of several definitions of the value categories. As it
happens, the definitional framework that I favored -- the constant-capital
specification of SNUL -- produced results that were most in accord with
Marx's theoretical expectations: a falling average rate of profit
associated with a strongly rising organic composition of capital and a
rising rate of surplus value. These results are similar to those obtained
by proponents of the "standard interpretation" when they distinguish
"gross" from "net" surplus value (or, in Fred's case, the "Marxian" from
the "conventional" rate of profit).

Murray