[OPEL:6221] RE: What is the debate is about?

Allin Cottrell (cottrell@ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu)
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 10:11:44 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, andrew kliman wrote:

> The crux of the matter, then, is this: Ian thinks his
> assumptions ("no change in technology or supply and demand"
> during the two periods) imply that the input prices of the two
> periods are equal, and that the output prices of the two
> periods are equal. *If* that were true, I would agree that
> the TSS interpretation is logically flawed.

Andrew's counter-example involves the knock-on effects of a
change in technology that took place before Ian's time-window
opened. It would be in the spirit of Ian's original thought
experiment to say, "OK, give the system enough 'time' for the
reverberations of that change to die away, and then consider my
argument."

Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics
Wake Forest University, NC