[OPE-L:6427] Re: [OPE] What is prior?(was: two rates of profit)

Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 14:11:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Alan Freeman wrote:

> Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 15:07:00 -0600
> From: Alan Freeman <a.freeman@greenwich.ac.uk>
> To: OPE-L new <ope-l@galaxy.csuchico.edu>
> Subject: [OPE] What is prior?(was: two rates of profit)
>
> Fred [Mon, 30 Mar 1998 12:41:48 -0500 (EST)] writes:
>
> >Marx's theory is based on the methodological principle that the total
> >amount of surplus-value is determined prior to its distribution or
> >division into individual parts."
>
> I don't disagree with this as it stands; however I feel a more fundamental
> principle is that the total amount of value is determined independent of
> its distribution or division into individual parts as Chris's comments
> [Tue, 31 Mar 1998 12:41:33 +010] indicate
>
> I would thus modify Fred's presentation of the principle in two respects.
> First, the magnitude of value - not just surplus-value - is independent
> of distribution. Second, I use the word 'independent' instead of the
> words 'determined prior' because of the ambiguity of the word 'prior'.
>
> The decisive point is that distribution does not enter into the
> determination of the magnitude of value.
>
> Fred's principle follows as a consequence of this epistemologically
> more general principle, which I think is Marx's actual operating
> principle, as many texts indicate.
>
> Does Fred agree with this?
>
> Alan

Yes, Alan, I agree with this. I emphasized in my recent posts the
logically prior determination of the total amount of surplus-value
because the subject was the general and the average rate of profit.
Marx's emphasis in Vol. 3 of Capital is also on the logically prior
determination of the total amount of surplus-value because the main
subject of Vol. 3 is the distribution of this total amount of
surplus-value. But in the concluding Part 7 of Vol. 3 ("Revenue
and Its Sources"), Marx also emphasized the logically prior determination
of the total value. This part provides a very clear statement of
these methodological premises of Marx's theory.

Thanks for your question.

Comradely,
Fred