[OPE-L:6471] Re: Re: Two Rates of Profit?

Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 18:59:31 -0400 (EDT)

Responding to Chris' post of a week ago (below):

It seems to me from Chris' last two posts that we are really in agreement
about Marx's treatment of the average rate of profit. Chris seems to be
saying that the average rate of profit was not intended by Marx as an
alternative method of determination, but merely an arithmetic calculation.
If so, then I would agree. I have argued all along that for Marx the
average rate of profit is not a fundamentally different method of
determination, but only a way of breaking down the social totals into
individual industries ("aliquot parts") to show the dependence of the
general or average rate of profit on the distribution of capital.

Do we agree?

Comradely,
Fred