[OPE-L:6559] [OPE-L:24] Re: Something *entirely* different

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Tue, 19 May 1998 06:16:04 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 14:07:52 +1030
From: Ian Hunt <Ian.Hunt@flinders.edu.au>

I think the marriage contract(of old) is not slavery, but servitude like
the peonage Marx refers to in a footnot. Or at least , it is not chattell
slavery. The position of women has varied, of course. Where, as in ancient
Rome, the pater familias had power of life and death and command of
whatever his wife does, then we had slavery (albeit still not chattel
slavery as wives could not be bought and sold in ancient Rome). The
position is that, without a renewable contract, and with a vow of
obedience, marriage is servitude, like that of a feudal serf, but in any
case is a form of unfree labour (with what form depending on the content of
the obligation to obey the husband). Marriage contracts with divorce on
demand are now more like labour contracts, though, and without the vow of
obedience are not formally at least, a form of servitude at all.