[OPE-L:6591] [OPE-L:56] Re: Query Moscow Capital

C. J. Arthur (cjarthur@pavilion.co.uk)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 17:33:15 +0100

>On OPE-L 49, Chris A. writes:
>
>>Re Volume 1 of Capital. The FLPH editions of 1954 and 1962 do >not have a
>acquire it? I suspect in the Progress >edition issued around 1964.
>
>I have a copy of the PP edition (I guess, reprinting) of 1965 and it
>*doesn't* have subject index. I also have a copy of the reprinting of 1992
>and it *does* have a subject index.

Thanks very much for this info. Any other offers of a subject index? CA.

> The number of pages of both editions is
>as follows:
>
>Year 1965: 807 pp. (Same as 1954?)

Yes CA

>Year 1992: 767 pp.
>
>When did they change the pagination and, pressumably, added the subject index?

One very great problem with Moscow is that they do not distinguish reprints
from new editions. Thus the 1985 Progress one claims simply to be
reprinting the 1954 one but as we have seen both pagination and indexing
were changed along the way as well as the publisher! And maybe other
things.
CA

>A couple of extra questions:
>
>(A) Does someone know the years of edition and number of pages of the *3
>vols* as edited by FLPH and Progress (International, L&W)?

Draper (The Marx-Engels Register) gives Kerr 1906-09; FLPH 1954-59; PP
1965-67. BUt CW 37 says that FLPH V.3 was 1958

>(B) What are the editions of Capital in English language?

There are a lot of more or less pirated editions of Moore and Eveling. IN
one way the crucial thing is translations of which I know oly the three AR
gives.
Here is the Bibliography from my Engels book. CA

Marx, K. Das Kapital Erster Band Hamburg 1867, MEGA II 5, Berlin, Dietz
Verlag, 1983.
Marx, K. Das Kapital Erster Band, Hamburg 1872, MEGA II 6, Berlin, Dietz
Verlag, 1987.
Marx, K. Le Capital, Paris 1872-75, MEGA II 7, Dietz Verlag Berlin 1989.
Marx, K. Das Kapital Erster Band, Hamburg 1889, MEGA II 8, Berlin, Dietz
Verlag, 1989.
Marx, K. Capital: A Critical Analysis of Capitalist Production, London
1887, MEGA II 9, Berlin, Dietz Verlag, 1990.
Marx, K. Das Kapital Erster Band, Hamburg 1890, MEGA II 10, Berlin, Dietz
Verlag, 1991.
Marx, K. Capital : A Critique of Political Economy,Volume One, London,
Lawrence & Wishart, 1983.
Marx, K. Capital: A Critical Analysis of Capitalist Production, (a reprint
of Engels edition of 1889 with supplementary material tr. Dona Torr)
London, George Allen & Unwin, 1938.
Marx, K. Das Kapital, Kritik der politischen Ökonomie, Erster Band,
Marx-Engels Werke 23, Berlin, Dietz Verlag, 1983.
Marx, K. Das Kapital, Kritik der politischen Ökonomie, Dritter Band,
Marx-Engels Werke 25, Berlin, Dietz Verlag, 1964.
Marx, K. Capital: A Critical Analysis of Capitalist Production, Volume One
, Moscow, Foreign Languages Publishing House, 1954.
Marx, K. Capital, Volume I Der Produktionsprozess des Kapitals, trans. Eden
and Cedar Paul (1928), London, Dent, 1972.
Marx, K. Marx's Capital, A Student Edition, ed. C. J. Arthur, London,
Lawrence & Wishart, 1992.
Marx, K. Capital, A Critique Of Political Economy,Volume One ; trns.
Fowkes B.. Harmondsworth, Penguin, 1976.

CHris A