[OPE-L:6630] [OPE-L:91] Re: Internal consistency of Marx's theory

Andrew Kliman (Andrew_Kliman@email.msn.com)
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 09:53:28 -0400

Dear Brendan,

You asked for "a text that brought the contrasting positions
together in a general way, explained the terms and abbreviations
used, etc." Unfortunately, no such text exists. That is a story
in itself.

The closest thing to what you want is "A Temporal Single-System
Interpretation of Marx's Value Theory," by Andrew Kliman (me) and
Ted McGlone, which will appear in the _Review of Political
Economy_ 11:1, January 1999. I'm sending it to you separately as
an attached file.

It is a comprehensive treatment of the TSS interpretation, and
the most up-to-date discussion of the debate. It is directed at
economists, not Marxists, so the language is pretty dessicated
and dehumanized, the way they like it. I'll be very happy to
answer any questions or criticisms you may have.

Ciao

Andrew ("Drewk") Kliman Home:
Dept. of Social Sciences 60 W. 76th St., #4E
Pace University New York, NY 10023
Pleasantville, NY 10570
(914) 773-3951 Andrew_Kliman@msn.com

"... the *practice* of philosophy is itself *theoretical.* It is
the *critique* that measures the individual existence by the
essence, the
particular reality by the Idea." -- K.M.

, so it is written in the dehumanized, dessicated language the
economists seem to But it is really written for deals pretty
comprehensively with the TSS interpretation, the evidence for it,
and the various critiques thereof. (That was very hard to do,
because the referees were often reluctant to believe that our
critics' positions are what we say they are; but of course most
of the critiques use when we attributed a position to critics

next best thing I can recommend