[OPE-L:6960] [OPE-L:452] Re: stagnation

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:25:42 -0500 (EST)

Alejandro VB writes in [OPE-L:450]:

> I have two
> suggestions:
> 1. The discussion about current crisis would be quite necessary. I am
> attaching a graph showing that US stock market is overvalued.

I didn't receive it.

> It implies that the worst part of the crisis is ahead: when the US
> economy
> will be in crisis.

I just read recently on another list that Anwar Shaikh thinks that we are
at the beginning of a new long wave, i.e. in a long-wave expansionary
phase.

btw, Anu also recently did some research on the US stock market but it
didn't concern the issue of either long-waves or what you call the
"current crisis".

(actually, we haven't spent any time yet discussing long waves or
shorter-term periods of crisis).

> It seems to me it is mandatory to discuss current
> crisis in ope-l.

I doubt if we all agree on the specific character of the "current
crisis". Perhaps if you give us -- in very broad, outline form -- a short
description of how you see the crisis, we could react. (I'll extend this
invitation to anyone else on the list as well).

> It would be necessary that some volunteers (maybe
> native English speakers) provoke discussion about this important issue.

Volunteers are always welcomed (and usually thanked).

> 2. It will be quite interesting a "works in progress" section. Many non
> active participant members of ope-l could write about their current
> research.
> What do you think?

I think it's a good idea. What are you working on now?

What do others think of Alejandro VB's suggestions?

In solidarity, Jerry