[OPE-L:6983] [OPE-L:475] RE: Value-price correlations

A.B.Trigg@OPEN.AC.UK
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:34:18 -0000

David Laibman mentions heteregeneous labour in relation to value-price
correlations. This is a potentially serious problem, since Ochoa,
Cockshott et al etc, all assume that the wage bill in each industrial
sector provides a measure of direct labour since variations in wages
capture variations in labour quality. Now, built into this approach is
an implicit assumption that there is no deviation of prices from values.
To argue this requires the following line of reasoning: (1) If
capitalists pay higher wages for more skilled labour then this is
because the skilled labour produces more output for the capitalist
relative to simple labour (2) The capitalist compares the money wage
with the money value of output. (3) Therefore, if Ochoa uses money wages
to identify the extra output produced by skilled labour then this
implicitly assumes that money output is idential to the (labour) value
of that output. Built into the Ochoa/Shaikh test for price-value
deviations is an implicit assumption, in relation to heterogeneous
labour, that price=value.

Any comments on this line of reasoning would be gratefully received.
I've just been pouring over the labour reduction literature -
Himmelweit, Rosdolsky, Rubin, Chai-on Lee etc. - where I think it can be
justified if wages are to provide the basis for analysis.

M.thanks.

Andrew Trigg