[OPE-L:7019] [OPE-L:513] Re: Re: Re: stagnation

Alejandro Valle (valle@servidor.unam.mx)
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 10:27:06 -0600

--------------018557166AA3A7B8F1D8EA42

"Fred B. Moseley" wrote:

> Alejandro, I am very interested in your comments about the overvaluation
> of the US stock market. Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to
> download your file. In the meantime, perhaps you could elaborate a bit:
> overvaluation compared to what? historical price-earnings ratios?
> rate of interest on 10-year Treasury bonds? or something else?

Fred, the graph I sent was historical price-earnings ratios for S&P. I
am attaching tha data for such graph in html format. You can import data
from Excel 5.0 or later.
The first information about overvalaution of US stocks was in pen-l.
Here some extracts:

The Baltimore Sun June 17, 1997

Market on verge of collapse, analyst says

When the stock market crashes, it'll be like an earthquake leveling a
city. That's what Thomas H. Eichler says. And he feels the rumbling.
Eichler, who is the president and chief investment officer of Eichler
Magnin Inc., a Los Angeles-based investment management firm, says that
within the next 12 months the stock market will plunge by 50 percent.

"Within the next year we expect one of the major financial crashes of
this century. We feel there will be an economic depression. We don't
think people will have a chance to get out," he said.
Eichler is a member of a small group of experts that is bearish on the
stock market. Those who have made negative predictions over the past
three years have been baffled and embarrassed time and time again
because stocks keep driving higher.
The Dow Jones industrial average -- a closely watched barometer made up
of 30 large companies -- has more than doubled in the past 2 1/2 years,
closing Friday at 7,782.04, up from 3,838.48 on Jan. 3, 1995.
But the 35-year-old Eichler believes that the stock market has peaked
and that it is on the verge of a crash that mirrors 1929.

Here's why:

Eichler argues that there are gaping imbalances in the U.S. financial
system. While corporations are making big profits, incomes of consumers
have stagnated, the savings rate has slipped, debt levels have risen,
and taxes as a percentage of income are at their highest levels this
century, he said. "That type of mix is very worrisome," he said.
With debt levels rising and incomes barely growing, consumer spending is
bound to slow, he said. That will filter through to companies that
produce goods and services. Less money to spend means that fewer people
will buy lawn mowers or take the family out to eat.
He argues that investors are paying unrealistic amounts for stock, more
than twice their normal value. "If you went to normal valuations, we are
talking about 3,300 to 3,500 on the Dow," Eichler said. "Investors are
not prepared for this type of decline. People are really in a vulnerable
position. This financial speculation has almost been like a steroid. Be
assured, it is nothing more than just a steroid."
Some key market indicators buttress his views. Stocks in the S&P 500 are
selling at about 22 times average earnings, the highest
price-to-earnings ratio since World War II except for 1987. The market
was hit with a 35 percent correction that year.
Stocks are selling at more than four times their book value. At the
market's August 1987 peak, before the crash, they were selling at just
over two times their book value.
The dividend yield, which goes down when the price of stocks goes up,
stands at a record low of 1.73 percent. In August 1987, it was 2.54
percent. Another reason the market will fall, Eichler says, is that
investors will pump more money into foreign stocks as economies around
the world recover at the expense of U.S. companies. "It seems to me
absurd that somebody wouldn't accept my scenario," Eichler said. "It is
backed by 100 years of history and reasonable economic analysis."
****************************** End of extract

Obviously Mr. Eichler was wrong at least about timing of the crash.

> This is an extremely important question at the present time. It seems like the short-term future of the whole world economy hinges almost entirely on the US stock market. The US economy is the only significant economy in the world that is growing strongly at the present time. Almost all of this growth is coming from strong consumer spending (with a negative saving rate!). And this consumer spending spree has been fueled mainly by the booming US stock market. Thus, if the US stock market continues booming, then perhaps the US economy can continue rapid growth and the world economy can eventually recover. However, on the other hand, if the US stock market crashes, then so will the US economy, and with it the rest of the world.

> An important cause of the US stock market boom has been a significant
> inflow of foreign capital fleeing the crisis in the rest of the world. > So the "boom" in the US economy is in part the result of the >depression in the rest of the world.

I agree with you: the US economy is a shelter for big investors, but how
long it could happen?
The health of US economy is the key issue for the world economy. If the
US economy fall down at the same time other economies are in recession
we will face a world depression.

> Alejandro, how do things look in Mexico?

Mexican economy face slow down for this year, GDP rate will be 3% (5% in
98). By example automotive sales are lower in January 99 than Jan 98.
Wages are stagnated. Current account is in deficit hence it is necessary
capital inflow and it depends on "animal spirit". Then, things could be
worst but not better than estimated by Mexican government.

I am preparing by request of Jerry some background for this discussion,
hence it will be more about this..

Un abrazo

--

Dr. Alejandro Valle Baeza Div. Posgrado, Fac. Economia UNAM, Ciudad Universitaria Mexico 04510, D.F. (525)6222148, fax (525)6222158 e-amail: valle@servidor.unam.mx --------------018557166AA3A7B8F1D8EA42 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii; name="tbsppeb.htm" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline; filename="tbsppeb.htm"

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> US Price Earnings Ratios

GLOBAL FINANCIAL DATA
S&P Composite Price/Earnings Ratios, 1871-1998

Standard and Poor's Composite Price/Earnings Ratios
Year High Low Close
1871  11.61
1872  11.60
1873  10.50
1874  9.98
1875  12.27
1876  14.47
1877  10.47
1878  10.85
1879  10.95
1880  10.62
1881  14.06
1882  13.79
1883  14.20
1884  15.43
1885  17.04
1886  16.29
1887  15.29
1888  19.96
1889  17.92
1890  18.45
1891  14.97
1892  15.17
1893  18.08
1894  27.03
1895  18.48
1896  20.08
1897  14.53
1898  14.49
1899  13.05
1900  12.92
1901  15.75
1902  13.37
1903  13.48
1904  14.47
1905  13.39
1906  12.64
1907  11.82
1908  13.46
1909  12.71
1910  12.85
1911  15.63
1912  13.57
1913  13.44
1914  15.60
1915  9.46
1916  6.18
1917  6.62
1918  7.60
1919  9.41
1920  9.92
1921  23.70
1922  12.12
1923  8.79
1924  9.74
1925  8.94
1926  9.95
1927  13.21
1928  13.70
1929  16.05
1930  21.10
1931  33.67
1932  138.89
1933  29.59
1934  25.71
1935  17.218  10.469  17.22
1936  19.305  16.502  16.69
1937  17.241  9.259  9.34
1938  21.882  9.488  20.66
1939  19.881  13.87  13.87
1940  13.908  9.05  10.21
1941  10.331  7.283  7.80
1942  9.901  7.424  9.55
1943  12.422  9.56  12.42
1944  14.451  12.376  14.29
1945  18.182  14.184  18.08
1946  22.321  14.164  14.16
1947  13.966  9.132  9.47
1948  9.363  6.636  6.64
1949  7.225  5.754  7.23
1950  7.704  6.566  7.19
1951  9.709  7.353  9.71
1952  11.062  9.653  11.06
1953  10.941  9.001  9.88
1954  12.987  9.93  12.99
1955  13.333  11.876  12.56
1956  13.986  11.876  13.66
1957  14.306  11.682  12.20
1958  19.194  12.121  19.19
1959  19.157  16.34  17.67
1960  17.762  16  17.76
1961  22.883  17.953  22.42
1962  21.786  15.221  17.15
1963  18.727  17.331  18.73
1964  19.92  17.762  17.99
1965  19.841  16.722  17.58
1966  17.825  12.706  14.60
1967  18.975  14.948  17.76
1968  18.622  16.026  17.83
1969  17.889  15.106  15.36
1970  17.271  13.021  17.27
1971  20.284  17.212  18.83
1972  19.96  18.083  19.23
1973  19.531  12.151  12.71
1974  12.72  7.15  7.53
1975  11.87  7.69  11.87
1976  13.32  10.79  11.21
1977  11.05  8.66  8.85
1978  9.64  8.13  8.30
1979  8.63  7.14  7.43
1980  9.38  6.69  9.19
1981  9.28  7.68  8.00
1982  10.36  6.92  10.32
1983  13.71  10.35  12.47
1984  12.65  9.77  10.05
1985  13.78  9.97  13.78
1986  17.47  13.27  16.34
1987  23.19  14.73  15.64
1988  16.34  11.6  12.19
1989  14.87  12.03  14.71
1990  16.84  13.89  15.21
1991  23.3  14.33  23.30
1992  26.1  22.91  24.31
1993  24.79  22.32  23.05
1994  23.6  16.48  16.86
1995  17.75  15.71  17.47
1996 20.92 17.01 20.58
1997  24.02 19.40 23.99
1998 32.27  24.12  32.27

Data from the Cowles Commission is used from 1871 through 1934, and data for the S&P Composite is used from 1935 through 1995. The Cowles Commission data are annual.

--------------018557166AA3A7B8F1D8EA42--