[OPE-L:7026] [OPE-L:521] Re: Equality and equivalence [OPE 491]

Gil Skillman (gskillman@mail.wesleyan.edu)
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 15:10:33 -0500

Alan writes in response to Steve:
>I came in recently because I did have something new to say.
>
>By and large I don't disagree with your central point in it, or at least I
>haven't until now when you say that linearity isn't the issue, because I
>think linearity is the issue.
>
>However before we get onto that, there's a prior point of clarity; it seems
>abundantly clear from all your contributions that what you mean by equality
>is exchange in proportion to magnitude of abstract labour. If you mean
>something different, then perhaps we should get that clear before
>proceeding onto linearity.

I'd like to point out for the sake of clarity that *I'm* not translating
"equality" as "exchange in proportion to abstract labor." [I don't think
Steve necessarily is either, but I'll let him speak for himself.] My point
is that exchange relations, with or without the law of one price, do not
establish a relationship of *equality* in a sense sufficient to support
Marx's Chapter 1 argument that abstract labor is in some *qualitative*
sense the basis of exchange value. Marx expresses this connection in
various ways (such as that exchange values are "regulated" by labor
values), but my point of is that *none* of these follow simply from the
condition of systematic commodity exchange, with or without LOOP.

Gil