[OPE-L:7154] [OPE-L:661] Re: Re: Re: Am I my own brother?

Steve Cullenberg (stephen.cullenberg@ucr.edu)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:46:59 -0800

I am also wondering why this is an issue. The equality sign only implies
that there is some common denominator and along that dimension the common
denominator for both things compared is equal. If things wer eqaul in
every dimension they would be completely identical, and not relevant
therefore for exchange.

I disagree with Chai-on slightly. Three equal signs usually means that two
things are always equal in an accounting sense, equal by the manner in
which things are defined, like saying that the budget deficit plus the
trade deficit is always equal to the difference between investment and saving.

A regular equality is usally used to signify a coningent equality, like an
equilibrium. The difference isn't between some notion of complete identity
and equality along one dimension.
Steve

At 05:16 AM 3/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
> [...]
Stephen Cullenberg Office: 909-787-5037, ext. 1573
Department of Economics Fax: 909-787-5685
University of California Email: stephen.cullenberg@ucr.edu
Riverside, CA 92521 www.ucr.edu/CHSS/depts/econ/sc.htm