[OPE-L:7163] [OPE-L:670] equality, identity, and value

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 12:54:03 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 17:32:33 +0000
From: "C. J. Arthur" <cjarthur@pavilion.co.uk>
To: Gerald Levy <glevy@pratt.edu>
Subject: Re: [OPE-L:662] equality, identity, and value

Jerry is right below.
It is most unfortunate Tarski conflates identity and equality . Quote from
Gil's post [to which I will reply later]:
"It occurs in phrases such as: 'x is identical with y,' 'x is
the same as y,' 'x equals y.' To all three of these expressions the same
meaning is ascribed; for the sake of brevity, they will be replaced by the
symbolic expression: 'x =y.' "
This is contrary to common usage and common sense as the example of 3=2+1
someone cited shows.
Since what is at issue is Marx's argument we have to start from his own
gloss on a=b - this is 'a is worth b'.
This not only does not suppose a and b are identical it prohibits it, as
marx goes on to make explicit when he denies a=a is a relation of value. I
would argue furthermore that, in the value relation 'a is worth b,' a and b
do not have to be identical in any repect whatsoever. Taken abstractly,
given that a commodity on its own does not contain an atom of value and
that this is a 'purely social substance' a's value can only be given in
some b *different from it*. Ultimately, as Brendan correctly argued
earlier, it requires the price form.
The inference that a and b must both be labour products requires more
argument than Marx gives in chapter 1.

Chris Arthur