[OPE-L:7169] [OPE-L:677] Re: Re: Re: I'm my own brother!

Steve Cullenberg (stephen.cullenberg@ucr.edu)
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:35:13 -0800

The point on the implicit sexism is well-taken, but not really germane to
the logical discussion at hand. Restrict, for the sake of argument, the
domain of relevant elements to only males, then I hope we'll agree that the
relation "is a brother of" is symmetric, transitive , but not reflexive.
We could also make the same point about the relation "is a sister of",
mutadis mutandis. Or, for complete gender neutrality we could say "Is a
sibling of", which again is S and T, but not R.

Steve

At 12:16 PM 3/15/99 +1030, you wrote:
> [...]
>>own brother but this seems to me to be mad so I think this is a good
>>counter-example to the generality of deducing reflexivity.
>>4. In relation to the more general discussion Russell argues as follows:
>>As an axiom I hold the principle of abstraction according to which "Every
>>transitive symmetrial relation, of which there is at least one instance ,
>>is analysable into joint possession of a new relation to a new term, the
>>new relation being such that no term can have this relation to more than
>>one term, but that its converse does not have this property."....in common
>>language that transitive symmetrial relations arise from a common
>>proerty....It gives precise statement to the principle that symmetrical
>>transitive relations always arise from identity of content.
>>However it is clear to me that in our case this common property is that of
>>value in the first instance, and additional argument is required to assert
>>the substance of value is labour. As it stands this value could be the
>>result of the intersection of preference schedules.
>>In my view the key move is when with the capital form we reach a relation
>>in whcih value is its own end.
>>
>>Chris Arthur

>>>Could Ian please define more clearly what he means by semi-transitive. In
>>>the example above with the relation "is a brother of", it is clear that the
>>>relation is not reflexive, contrary to Ian's claim.
>>>
>>>Let a, b, c be three distinct individuals.
>>>Let R be the relation "is a brother of."
>>>
>>>Symmetry says: If aRb, then bRa, and in this case R satifies symmetry.
>>>
>>>Transitivity says: If aRb and bRc, then aRc, and again in this case R
>>>satifies transitivity.
>>>
>>>Reflexivity says: aRa, and we know directly that R does not satisfy
>>>reflexivity as a cannot be the brother of a.
>>>
>>>Thus, R is not an equivalence relation in this case (NB, this is beside the
>>>point that Gil and I have been arguing about exchange)
>>>
>>>Now, Ian implies that contrary to our direct understanding about R, that if
>>>symmetry and transitivity obtain, then reflexivity must. Something must
>>>give. Consider the following:
>>>
>>>By symmetry, if aRb, then bRa.
>>>By transitivity, if aRb and bRc, then aRc.
>>>
>>>And, by symmetry, if aRc, then cRa.
>>>
>>>There is no way to get to aRa, from symmetry and transitivity. Hence, the
>>>claim is wrong in general and in particular aRa fails in the case of R
>>>being "is a brother of".
>>>
>>>I don't think this should come as a surprise as these axioms have been used
>>>by hundreds of social choice theorists, among others, who are extremely
>>>careful in not wanting to use redundant axioms.
>>>
>>>Also, I don't know who, or even if someone did, first made the claim that
>>>reflexivity and symmetry imply transitivity but that is also immediately
>>>false. Reflexitivity and symmetry are binary relations between two
>>>distinct elements. Transitivity requires three distinct elements.

Marx

reflexivity

>>>the

>>>this