[OPE-L:7200] [OPE-L:719] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Use and abuse of mathematics [OPE 57

Ajit Sinha (sinha@cdedse.ernet.in)
22 Mar 99 13:10:19 IST (+0530)

Rakesh writes:
> Re Ajit's reply to the Blake passage
>
> Ajit does not question that Marx's abstract labor theory of value
> should
> not be collapsed with the classical theory of value. Whether
> Smith's theory
> is really only a command theory and whether Ricardo moves in the
> direction
> of labor as the cause, more than the measure, of value, it
> remains true
> that neither develops an abstract labor theory of value or the
> idea of the
> duality of labor, which Marx held to be the pivot of the critical
> conception.
__________________
For me the interesting question is not what "Marx held it to be"
but rather what is this "distinct" "Abstract Labor Theory of
Value"? This is what I want to know. If you or Blake or anyone on
the list has an answer, then we can take it from there and see what
kind of theory it is.
_____________
> Rakesh:
> In no way do I find Ajit's insistence on getting right the
> differences
> between Smith and Ricardo scholastic. It just does not seem to
> lead to a
> dismissal of Blake's attempt to get at the differentia specifica
> of Marx's
> theory of value. Nor do I question the importance of Ajit's
> critique (if I
> follow it from the short description provided) of Marx that he
> tried
> vainly to differentiate himself by more forcefully insisting that
> labor was
> the cause, not the measure, of value.
>
> Apparently following Meek, Ajit seems to insist that Chapter I is
> a model
> of simple commodity production. Following Martha Campbell in her
> contribution to the Heilbroner festschrift and Fred Moseley on
> this list, I
> understand Marx to begin with bourgeois society in which the
> commodity has
> come to be seen as the fundamental unit of wealth.
_________________
I'm not following Meek or Engels, who was talking about SCP as a
historical mode of production. When Marx introduces wage labor in
ch. 5, he announces that prior to that stage neither capital nor
wage labor existed in the analysis. So the chapter one on value
does not take class division into consideration. If Fred thinks
otherwise, then I would like to hear his argument.
_______________
> Rakesh:
> Without having read Blake, Ajit insists that he derives the
> concept of
> abstract labor by magical incantation instead of through a
> meticulous
> analysis of the peculiarities of the value form. The passage I
> cited was
> only to wave a flag that Marx's theory of value should not be
> easily
> collapsed with the classical, not to justify how Marx arrived at
> the
> concept of abstract labor or Blake's interpretation of Marx's
> logic.
But what is the point of flag waving on this list? Most of us have
some understanding of the literature. We need more substance than
just jesture of flag waving. Cheers, ajit sinha