[OPE-L:7465] [OPE-L:999] Re: online journal

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Thu, 20 May 1999 18:19:45 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 20:46:26 +0200
From: Jurriaan Bendien <djjb99@worldonline.nl>

Jerry wrote:

>The more I think about this, the more I am convinced that we should go
>ahead with an e-journal. Of course, it will take some time and thought to
>get it together. We'll also have to make a lot of decisions on format and
>guidelines as we continue. Yet, can we not agree that this is an avenue
>that we *must* pursue?

Yes, I agree an online journal would be great. But why not make it
something on which we also can re-publish papers, publish drafts, or news
on the subject area, which list members may not be aware of ? Generally I
think it should be just a fairly informal magazine reporting on what's
happening in the political economy field, who is writing/publishing what,
etc. You basically only need one editor (host) to receive copy, and you
could publish just about anything in the subject area that's not
reactionary or stupid ! I don't see the need for complicated guidelines or
sophisticated theoretical or political selection criteria. If we get into
a debate about correct principles for a journal we'll be here till Sunday.
Just a basic statement of intent and topics covered would do, as a starting
point. The website can be quite simple and straightforward. I haven't
quite finished learning how to make one myself, but I understand it is
really easy to make a basic website and stick stuff on. The real issues to
my way of thinking are who has the time to be editor/host, and whether you
can get enough articles.

Regards

Jurriaan Bendien
Kerkstraat 449 hs