[OPE-L:1194] Re: Re: Re: Re: Unproductive labour income and Marxian social accounts

From: Jurriaan Bendien (djjb99@worldonline.nl)
Date: Sun Sep 12 1999 - 04:55:55 EDT

Ajit writes:

>Then I think we will have fundamental difference about Marx's value
theory. For
>most of these authors, in my opinion, the problematic of value in Marx is not
>much different from the problematic of value in neoclassical economics. They
>essentially see it as a problematic of social division of labour in a
commodity
>producing economy. Rubin gets so bad that he even starts to draw the
neoclassical type supply and demand curves.

Reply:

There I don't think we agree. These authors interpret Marx to be concerned
both with the "problematic" of the division of labour and the problematic
of exploitation, as you phrase it. I don't think there is anything in
principle wrong with drawing supply and demand curves, if they reflect a
real situation (I don't have Rubin handy here). I think there is a use for
elements of neo-classical economics in post-capitalist society, therefore I
do not write it off altogether, I write off its more absurd ideas about how
a real economy functions. I haven't tried to build a theory of prices with
Marx's theory but it is possible to do it I think.

Ajit writes:
\
I don't know what you mean by absence of a concept of value? Cheers, ajit
sinha

Reply:

I did not say absence of a concept, I said absence of a COHERENT concept of
value. There are grave problems with the notion of marginal utility, for
instance, as Hilfderding already pointed out at the beginning of this
century.