[OPE-L:1264] Dalai Lama on marxist economics

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 17 1999 - 06:42:50 EDT

"Of all the modern economic theories, the economic system of Marxism is
founded on moral principles, while capitalism is concerned with only with
gain and profitability. Marxism is concerned with the distribution of
wealth
on an equal basis and the equitable utilization of the means of production.
It is also concerned with the fate of the working classes--that is the
majority--as well as the with the fate of those who are underprivileged and
in need, and Marxism cares about the victims of minority-imposed
exploitation. For those reasons the system appeals to me, and it seems fair.
I just recently read an article a paper where his holiness the Pope also
pointed out some positive aspects of Marxism...
The failure of the regime in the Soviet Union was, for me not the failure
of Marxism but the failure of totalitarianism. For this reason I think of
myself as half-Marxist, half-Buddhist."