[OPE-L:1271] Re: Re: the conservation anddestruction ofvalue

From: Jurriaan Bendien (djjb99@worldonline.nl)
Date: Fri Sep 17 1999 - 09:21:31 EDT

Claus Germer writes:

 It seems to me
>that the abstract and the concrete are two connected but distinct spheres,
>where distinct criteria should be observed.

That's a big topic, about which I consider there isn't much clarity in
Marxist theory, although we can distinguish some different schools: the
Mandel (long wave) school, the Aglietta/Boyer (regulationist) school, the
Bowles et. al school (social structure of acumulation), the Uno/Itoh school
(3 level theory) to name a few. The problem is often that the abstract
theory is so abstract that it is useless when "working over the raw
material" and therefore abandoned. It seems to me that in order to inform
practice, we do have to recast the abstractions of Das Kapital in some
form, develop them and so forth. But we are well on the way (also judging
by some of the discussion of this list).

In solidarity

Jurriaan