[OPE-L:1468] Re: The audit of war

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:14:13 -0400 (EDT)

Paul C wrote in [OPE-L:1467]:

> Are you sure of your facts here.

I'm not sure. I never claimed to be an authority on the kipper industry.

> Protein production was regulated in
> the war, but, proteins being in such short supply I have difficulty
> believing that Boyd Orr would have recomended eliminating smoked fish as
a source.

If you don't like the example of kippers, think of inexpensive dolls.
Prior to the war, were the workers who produced the dolls productive of
surplus value? I think we would have to say, "yes". Once the war starts,
though, doll production is not counted as "essential" by the government,
right? That doesn't transform productive labor into unproductive labor,
though.

> >This is somewhat irrelevant, though, since workers -- *regardless of
> >whether they are productive of surplus value or not* -- are sent to the
> >"front" to be shot.
> No, the system of exempted labour categories was designed to ensure
> that, as far as possible, workers in the basic sector survived. A Sheffield
> foundary worker was less likely to be called up than a city of london bank
> clerk.

In the US, the criteria was "essential" _for the war effort_. Thus, ball
bearing production was "essential" but toys weren't. This is not the same
thing as the productive-unproductive labor distinction, though. Both toys
and ball bearings are ordinarily produced by productive labor.

> This is true enough, the war involved an increase in the effective labour
> force, since the unemployed and women who had not previously worked
> were liable to labour duties.

Right. In that case, prejudices about gender were at least partially put
off to the side for the war effort. Once the war was ended, then women
were told that their services were no longer required. Of course, this can
change and has changed in many parts of the world since the 1970's.

In solidarity, Jerry