[OPE-L:1480] Re: imperialism

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 08:56:33 -0400 (EDT)

Re Jurriaan's [OPE-L:1477]:

1) In your definition of imperialism below, you place great emphasis on
the rivalry among the imperialist and the "imperialised" nations.
Curiously, there is no recognition of rivalry among advanced capitalist
nations (*inter-imperialist* rivalry).

2) The definition you outline below has the "virtue" of being very similar
to that used by mainstream sociologists, political scientists, and
economists. I suppose it might be considered a virtue if we could use some
of the same definitions. There are problems, though, with such a (what I
would call) "trans-historical" definition. The chief problem being that
there is no delineation between "imperialism" in the pre-modern
(pre-capitalist) period and an "imperialism" associated with the
character of capitalism (or a "period" of capitalist history). With the
definition that you suggest, imperialism has *always* existed under
capitalism. Indeed, from your perspective, the process of the original
(primitive) accumulation of capital was an imperialist process. Yet, this
fails to recognize how the character of capitalism can change over time
and how capitalism can be divided into different "periods".

3) If one conceives of imperialism as both inter-imperialist rivalry and
descriptive of a relationship among advanced capitalist nations and less
developed capitalist nations within the context of a *world market*, then
one could indeed make the argument that imperialism (so understood) is an
integral moment (period) in the development of capitalism.

I.e. just as capital exists not only as simple unity, but as diversity
(competition) and unity-in-diversity, so too when we consider the state,
there is not a single state, but many states with distinct ands separate
interests. Of course, capitalist nations also have common interests
(unity-in-diversity) that include the extension of capitalist relations
globally and the suppression of revolutionary movements of the working
class. It seems to me, then, that the drive to imperialism is a
*necessary* consequence of the accumulation of capital (and the
attendant centralization, concentration, and internationalization of
capital). Indeed, one could argue that the drive to imperialism is a
consequence of the valorization process in the context of the uneven and
combined development of capital (to use Trotsky's expression)
internationally.

Yet, this needs to be drawn out more. And it needs to be drawn out more at
levels of abstraction associated with the state, foreign trade, and the
world market and crisis. (I know: I must sound like a broken record).

4) On the question of "nations" existing before the advent of capitalism,
I think -- again -- that we should be concerned with the particular form
that nations took under capitalism. That is, our concept of "nation"
should be specific to the character of capitalism even if nations in some
_other sense_ existed prior to capitalism. Relatedly, "cities" existed in
the ancient world. Yet, it is nonetheless true that the development of
capitalism and cities are linked (just as the development of capitalism
and nation-states are linked).

5) I agree with the thrust of your remarks on Lenin's _Imperialism_.
It has to be remembered that it was intended as a "popular outline" rather
than a major theoretical work. Also, I have been told that a more accurate
rendering of the translation of the title of Lenin's pamphlet is
_Imperialism: The Latest Stage of Capitalism_. Note that the difference
in translation between "latest" and "last" is significant.

What is unfortunate is a tendency by some Marxists -- especially those,
it seems, who write on the Net -- to treat Lenin's pamphlet as --
essentially -- the "last word" on the subject of defining and
understanding imperialism. Perhaps one reason for the difficulty in
sustaining a dialogue on this subject among Marxists is (as Makoto seemed
to suggest) that the understanding of this subject is linked to the
political programme of Lenin and others -- before and since his time.

In solidarity, Jerry