[OPE-L:1503] Re: Re: Lapides and Marx's wage theory

zarembka@acsu.buffalo.edu
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 13:05:50

Jerry,

I have neither criticized nor defended Lapides for a non-answer. I may
have an opinion AFTER we get his opportunity to say something (I have no
idea if he has yet seen ANY of this thread). There are both good and bad
reasons for non-answers and I'll be pretty careful before laying out or
accepting a "scholarly dishonesty" charge (actually I don't recall this
ever coming up on this list--maybe some said something like that
privately, I don't know, but publicly...).

I will confirm that the "Select Bibliography" in Lapides includes Mike's
1992 book but not Mike's S&S 1993 article (which I haven't seen). What I
have been attempting, at least in part, is to focus on whether this
non-answer is the ONLY evidence being offered for "scholarly dishonesty"
(other disagreements being the usual disagreements we always find on this
list).

On the Marx to Engels letter, "the whole thing" does seem to refer to what
became the four volumes of Capital (also Marx's October 1866 letter to
Kugelmann). If it is being suggested that a book on wage labor, outside
Capital, remained in Marx's work place into the mid-1860s and beyond,
well, I open to discussion.

Paul

Paul Zarembka, supporting RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY web site
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka