[OPE-L:1518] Re: Re: Lapides and Marx's wage theory

zarembka@acsu.buffalo.edu
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:11:37

Jerry,

I think my disagreement with you is profound. Apart from meeting enough
un-famous Marxists in "out of the way" parts of the world who have read
Capital, I think Capital Volume 1 on its own (yes, even only Vol. 1) is
revolutionary to the core without having to read the Communist Manifesto,
etc. In fact, I think Vol. 1 is MORE revolutionary than the Communist
Manifesto because it reflects a DEEPER understanding of the capitalist
mode of production to which workers are subjected.

I don't know what to make of your sentence "to the extent that class
struggle is discussed in _Capital_, it is discussed in a one-sided
manner". The Italian zero-work school would say that Capital is about
what capital struggles TO IMPOSE, but labor resists at multiple levels,
therefore, Capital is not about what capital actually ACHIEVES. To the
extent that this is correct, I'm not convinced that what workers would
want to achieve is understandable within the epistemological of Capital,
"missing book" or no "missing book".

Anyway, I guess you are joining Mike in believing that Capital
"de-emphasizes" class struggle, which is the context for my ope-l 1515.

Paul

Paul Zarembka, supporting RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY web site
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka