[OPE-L:1556] Re: Lapides and Marx's wage theory

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 12:41:36 -0400 (EDT)

Re Paul Z's [OPE-L:1555]:

> 2) You (and Mike)
> write as if a right-wing philosopher can be easily be turned on his head
> and the "dialectical unfolding of categories" (your phrase) is unaffected
> and usable as is.

I don't think I write "as if" I believe that Marx took Hegel's
philosophy "as is." Certainly, I don't believe that. Yet, there is a clear
Hegelian *influence* in Marx's theory, including _Capital_ (as even
Althusser recognized).

What I was trying to highlight was the dialectical way in which categories
are presented in _Capital_ and the implications of this for the "missing
book" interpretation. To give but one (more) example of how Marx was
concerned with the *transition* among subjects, see the Penguin ed. of
Volume 1, p. 949, 1st paragraph. Just as there was a logical sequence to
the categories in _Capital_ and the transition to different volumes in
_Capital_, so too we have to examine what Marx wrote in _Capital_ to
determine what was *not* written about yet is required for the further
logical development of the theory. Thus, as I said before, the analysis of
the state-form is required precisely because it wasn't examined in
_Capital_ yet is a form that arises necessarily out of a further
development of the commodity-form (thus the category of money implies the
state. But where is the analysis of the state?). More to the point, how is
"need" established for workers in _Capital_? The very one-sided way in
which this subject is assumed to exist at that level of abstraction cries
out for a further development at a more concrete level of analysis. It is
important, thus, when examining what Marx wrote to not only look what he
wrote but what he *didn't* write.

  3) you do not seem aware that the Soviet Stalinist
> interpretation of Marx leans heavily on Hegel (yes, this is a new thread
> but I never thought of you as any type of Stalinist, so now I wonder why
> this connection doesn't seem to have occured to you).

A curious interpretation, I might say. Especially so since those Marxists
who highlighted the influence of Hegel on Marx, like I.I. Rubin, were
summarily executed by Stalinists.

I doubt if you could find a Hegelian anywhere, or a Hegelian-Marxist, who
would support the interpretation of Hegel and/or Marx in Soviet Stalinist
theory. In fact, I don't even know of a Hegelian anywhere who has anything
good to say about Soviet philosophy under Stalin (and after). Can you
provide a counter example?

> 4) I have already
> responded RE: the ending of Vol. 3 of Capital by offering a completely
> different intepretation of what Marx MAY have been doing there.

And I have already responded to your interpretation of what Marx "may"
have been doing in the last chapter of _Capital_. In addition to not
responding yet to my response (which, of course, you have a right and as
you say the posts have been coming fast and furious and it's hard to keep
up) you have yet to offer a explanation for *why* Marx wanted to address
that topic there.

I should add that while the "starting point" was important from Marx's
(and Hegel's) perspective (see the "Introduction" to the _Grundrisse_), so
to is the "ending point". I have suggested an interpretation for *why* he
chose to end _Capital_ the way he did, yet your interpretation doesn't
offer a reason for why he ended _Capital_ in that manner.

In solidarity, Jerry