[OPE-L:1578] Re: Statement of Kenneth Lapides

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 15:35:42 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 12:29:31 -0700 (MST)
From: Kenneth Lapides <lapides@sedona.net>
To: Gerald Levy <glevy@pratt.edu>
Subject: Re: [OPE-L:1567] Re: Statement of Kenneth Lapides (fwd)

Jerry

Thank you for forwarding to me Lebowitz's reply to my Statement. If you
don't mind, I'd like to submit the following brief response to his response.

Lebowitz says he agrees with my words: "Folks will just have to read his
work and my own and come to their own conclusion." He then proceeds to say
that he wants "to set the record straight on a few new matters."

Unfortunately he all to quickly turned his attention away from the rest of
that paragraph. I wrote: "I can live with that. But to level the charge of
dishonesty and to keep shifting the ground of attack in the face of rebuttal
smacks of McCarthyism and is unacceptable. Lebowitz has takes this beyond
the bounds of theoretical debate to conceal the bankruptcy of his own
argument. His charges are out of line, and he should withdraw them and
apologize; if he does not then other members of this list should urge him to
do so."

I showed in my original statement that there was no basis for his personal
attack on my integrity. He had even gone so far as to underline it by
saying that it was "for the record." Now he wants to walk away from his
words and with false piety speak of the "scholarly community."

I am not interested in arguing the point any further. I simply want to
point out that Lebowitz has not retracted his false accusation and he has
not apologized for it. He can still do that, "for the record."

I can't compel him to withdraw his vile words. However, having refuted them
in my Statement, I know that no fair-minded individual can believe that my
honor is at issue. It is time now for Lebowitz to reclaim his honor.

Thank you again for allowing me to communicate directly with the members of
your list.

Kenneth Lapides

lapides@sedona.net