[OPE-L:1867] Re: A Review of Lapides' Marx's Wage theory (fwd)

Subject: [OPE-L:1867] Re: A Review of Lapides' Marx's Wage theory (fwd)
From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 17:10:28 EST

Ajit,

Thanks for your reply as I'm working through these issues.

I am a bit surprised that you cite only TWO supporting passages for an
increasing misery argument in Marx: 1) "VPP" (which I presume means
"Wages, Price and Profit") and 2) Chapter 25 of CAPITAL, Vol. 1, which
is empirical for a specific period of time and widely accepted before Marx
and by Lapides as common knowledge. I had asked you where you find
support for increasing misery theory because I thought you had more
textual citations to Marx to your argumentation than you mentioned in the
review. It seems that your THEORETICAL support in Marx is therefore
reduced to only VPP and I'll do a separate posting on that.

Regarding the Iron Law, you don't answer my question which was "where do
you find [Lapides] in his book joining an Iron Law with immiseration".
You had made such an assertion POINT BLANK in your review ("He identifies
Marx's increasing immiseration thesis with Iron Law of Wages, which is
simply absurd"). I reread the chapter once again and cannot find such a
joining of increasing misery with iron wages. I do find him rejecting
both characterizations of Marx. Anyway, this question of mine is not
important enough to worry further about.

One more observation. You quote Lapides: "What I do show is that many
followers and critics of Marx have mistakenly 'identified' his economic
doctrine with Lassalle's 'iron law of wages,'..." Then you say that this
effort "is another proof of his theoretical bankruptcy. Lassalle's 'iron
law of wages' suggests that real wages, due to population mechanism,
cannot stay higher than the bare subsistence for any considerable period
of time." Yet, it is clear that Lassalle's iron law WAS INDEED
misinterpreted as Marx's and by 1875 Marx himself felt he had to set the
record straight in "Critique of the Gotha Program"! There is no
"theoretical bankruptcy" involved, unless it is Marx's also.

Paul

P.S. Personally, even though I have never met Kenneth Lapides, I would
prefer not reading: "a debate with him would amount to one of those
unending waste of time", "anybody who has a good sense of history of
economic thought", etc. Such language often encourages wiping persons out
of the movement (and for some whose skin is not thick enough actually
succeeds). On the other hand, I have no problem if there are people or
topics whom you simply chose not to discuss--all of us do that all the
time.

Paul Zarembka, supporting RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY, web site
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka