[OPE-L:1941] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the moneysupply

coslap@aueb.gr
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 20:54:33 +0000

Dear Akira,

Thanks for the comments. I have interspersed some remarks as prominently as
i could.

Cheers

Costas

At 10:26 AM 12/14/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear Member
>
>I intend to try to put this money-supply-debates in order after a while.
>
>Now I show my opinion about Dr. COSTAS's following coments.
>
>> SURELY THE TAX LIABILITY IS AN OBLIGATION OF GIVEN NOMINAL VALUE THAT
>> CANNOT CHANGE AS A RESULT OF ALTERATIONS IN THE QUANTITY OF MONEY. IN
>> SETTLING IT, MONEY IS MEANS OF PAYMENT AND NOT MEANS OF CIRCULATION. HOW
>> WOULD YOU INCORPORATE THAT IN THE QUANTITY THEORY OF MONEY?
>>
>> COSTAS
>
>I think the intrinsic nature of the contemporary currency is the credit
>money, that is means of payment.
>Therefore it's circulation is based on the offset principle. That, " To the
>extent that they ultimately cancel each other out , by the balancing of
>debts and claims, they function absolutely as money, even though there is no
>final transformation into money proper".
>

> As far as the offset principle is be at work, the contemporary credit money
>can circulate in place of the money and also function as means of
>circulation.
>

>Basically we can expalin the contemporary money as I mentioned. But we need
>more expalnation about the state-cfredit and the transformation to the paper
>money.

My point was quite different. I agree that modern money is credit money and
that tends it to be means of payment (and hoarding). But the Quantity
Theory has difficulty incorporating this function of money. If obligations
are given, how can a quantity theorist ascribe variation of nominal
magnitudes to variation of the quantity of the circulating medium? By this
token, it is hard to see how the exchange value of money can be generally
determined by tax liabilities on lines similar to those of the Quantity
Theory of Money.

Costas