[OPE-L:1964] John Holloway

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 03:40:51 -0500 (EST)

John Holloway, who I thought was at the University of Edinburgh but who is
in fact in Mexico now!, has joined our list. Like Massimo, he is a
well-known figure in "Open Marxism" and occasionally participates in the
aut-op-sy list.

He describes himself, for our purposes, as follows:

        As to information about myself: I work in the Instituto de
Humanidades y Ciencias Sociales in the Universidad Autónoma de Puebla
(Mexico) and I am also an Honorary Fellow in the Department of Politics in
the University of Edinburgh, where I was based for many years. I am
associated with the approach usually known as Open Marxism (or sometimes
Edinburgh Marxism), which we have tried to work out in the three volumes of
Open Marxism (W. Bonefeld et al. (eds), Pluto Press, London, 1992, 1992,
1995) and in the 24 numbers of Common Sense, as well as in many articles in
Capital and Class and elsewhere. Our main concern in this approach has been
to understand capital as class struggle, or, in other words, to understand
the categories of Capital as open categories, categories which
conceptualise the un-predetermined process of class struggle. Within this
general approach, much of my work has been concerned with the state and the
changing relation between money and the state (Capital and the State,
co-edited with Sol Picciotto, Edward Arnold, London, 1978; In and Against
the State (with others, as London Edinburgh Weekend Return Group, Pluto,
london, 1980); Post-Fordism and Social Form, co-edited with Werner
Bonefeld, Macmillan, London, 1991; Global Capital, National State and the
Politics of Money, co-edited with Werner Bonefeld, Macmillan, London,
1995). In the last few years, a lot of my work has been concerned with
developing this approach in relation to the Zapatista uprising (as in
Zapatista! Reinventing Revolution in Mexico, co-edited with Eloína Peláez,
Pluto Press, London, 1998).

John H: welcome aboard!

In solidarity, Jerry

e-mail address: John Holloway <104164.2012@compuserve.com>