[OPE-L:1983] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Value Form (OPE-L 1972)

Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 22:59:54 +1100

I don't see any serious theoretical problem, and I agree that Marx probably
thought that way (Ricardo tended to lean a bit too heavily on the iron law
of wages though!).

The ratios s/v and skilled/unskilled productivity at any point of time
would be a product of previous history, and plotting the future course of
these variables an exercise in dynamics. There are plenty of clues pointing
this way in Marx's many comments that the value of labor power sets the
*minimum* wage, and that the presumption that the value of labor-power
determines the wage is an abstraction to be dropped at higher levels of
analysis.

I think the problem here lies more in economists' (of all persuasions!)
addiction to static analysis, in which there is always a determinate
solution, rather than a time-dependent one.

cheers,
Steve