[OPE-L:1985] Re: Value Form (1972)

John Ernst (ernst@pipeline.com)
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 11:34:03

I think that Steve and Ajit seem to agree that the degree
to which skilled labor creates value can only be determined
ex post. If true, this would contradict to Fred's
idea that abstract labor is totally independent of price.
That is, we can only know the amount of abstract labor
involved by looking at prices.

Obviously, one can still assume that all labor is simple in
reading Marx; however, in operationalizing(sp?) his efforts
this is a sticky problem. It becomes all the more of a problem
if we are comparing skilled labor in different countries where
competition may not reduce the social value to the individual
value.

John