[OPE-L:1990] Re: Aristotle's Economic Thought

coslap@aueb.gr
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 20:27:57 +0000

As Duncan says, Scott Meikle's book on Marx and Aristotle (and three or
four articles he has published on the subject) is excellent. He very
clearly explains, for instance, Aristotle's distinction between
'oikonomike' and 'kapelike', ie, use-value-aimed activity and money-aimed
activity. His account of differences between substances and properties of
things is also very useful for understanding Marx's concept of value. My
only concern is that Meikle appears to think that under, capitalist
conditions, value materialises in exchange. He seems unaware of the
problems this creates for the view that 'labour is the source of value'.

Costas