- Gnome-terminal: My favorite. I like the tabs and menus
- xterm. Very basic, but available everywhere.
X-Windows software for Microsoft Windows
- Hummingbird eXceed. This is what I use. Works well.
- CygWin. I have not tried this, but it is free.
To be able to copy selections from Linux to Windows, do the following.
- Choose Hummingbird Connectivity > Exceed tools > Xconfig .
- Choose X Selection
- Choose X Selection associates with Primary. Also
check the boxes for
- Auto Copy X selection, and
- Auto Paste to X selection.
More common commands
- Kompare. GUI Compare two files.
Commands needing clarification
- Grep: prints lines containing a particular pattern.
- Gnuplot. Good basic plotting from the command line.
- DX. Open source successor to Data Explorer.
- XCrysDen. Plot crystals and charge density.