How to put RealVideo on the Wake Forest G2 server
Wake Forest has a server for providing streaming RealVideo. Streaming means
that the person viewing the video does not need to wait for the whole file to
download. The file begins playing after only a few seconds. The person can watch
while the rest of the file downloads.
The RealServer directory appears to the campus community as a file on the server
- Find acad1 through Windows Explorer via
- NetworkNeighborhood > Entire Network > WFU > ACAD1.
- Find the directory on acad1 where your ".rm" files are to be stored.
For physics, this is physics/pub/demolabs/demos/ or a subdirectory thereof.
- Store your file here. (Most faculty do not have privileges to store files
on acad1. Ask your ACS to store the files for you.)
Create a file in your web directory consisting of
a single line:
For example, the file
should be typed as
I create these files with Notepad.
- Save this file with an extension ".ram", e.g., "darth.ram."
That's it. On your web page, provide a link to "darth.ram" should
display the file as a streaming RealVideo. Example: Click
here to view a streaming RealVideo file.
Physics "how-to" guides
Rick Matthews' home page
Department of Physics