ASIA AN EXERNAL AREA; Stav 7:
1. Describe Asia before European contact. (Marco Polo an exception)
2. Describe Indian Ocean trade before 1500.
3. What factors allowed the Portugese to dominate Indian Ocean trade?
4. Compare Chinese merchants to those under Western European capitalism.
5. Why did the Portugese seek to "monopolize all commerce" in the Indian Ocean? Had traders from Empires previously claimed the Indian Ocean as their domain as did the Portugese, and later the Dutch?
Why or why not?
6. What accounts for the successes of the Dutch East India Company over the Portugese, the English, and the Indian Ocean trade?
7. Why did the trans-Pacific trade between China and Mexico (through Manila) "violate all mercantilist tenets" in the eyes of Spain?
8. Why did Japan and China seek control, and finally in the case of Japan, completely exclude foreign traders and missionaries (except for the Dutch)?
9. Why does Stavrianos argue that Asia was not (with a few exceptions) integrated into the world market prior to the nineteenth century? What were the few exceptions? What areas of the world were integrated into the world market by 1900?
10. Which way did bullion flow in the Asia-Europe trade prior to 1900? Why?