1)Why was China so stable and cohesive for so long? (list and explain each factor)
2)Why was China not colonized in the period we are studying?
3) Explain Stavrianos’ statement, “Westernization could not be a halfway
process: it was all or nothing.” Does this apply to China? To Africa?
How so or how not?
4) In what way was the Opium War a classic example of free trade imperialism?
Summarize the results of this and the other wars China fought with Western
nations between 1839 and 1895.
5) What aspects of Chinese civilization helped protect it from the
West? How were these broken down?
6) Explain the causes, demands, outcome and significance of the Taiping
7) List the events that occurred in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries
to break down China’s isolation and cause imperial disintegration.
8) Explain the growing social crisis.
9) Why didn’t Western European countries trading in China ally themselves
with progressive, modernizing forces in China?