1. How did Japanís reaction to the West differ from Chinaís? What
was the key to Japanís ability to resist the West?
2. Why was Japanís victory in the Russo-Japanese War so important
in Japan? In the rest of Asia? In the third world?
3. What steps did Japan take to modernize? What changes did the
Meiji Restoration bring?
4. Is the Japanese model relevant to third world industrialization
today? Why or why not?
5. How did the Japanese avoid an internal revolution such as those
occurring in Britain and France?