[OPE-L:7808] Re: Iraqi oil

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 12 2002 - 09:45:40 EDT

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Rakesh Bhandari wrote:

> We had some discussion about what we called the oilism and
> petrodollarism theses earlier. Any chance of revisiting the
> discussion?  I don't believe that Bush and Cheney are entertaining
> the possibility of toppling Saddam in order to free the world economy
> from the threat of his use of oil as a weapon and to break (putative)
> OPEC power.

Rakesh, this seems like a narrow definition of "oilism".  I would say that
the main motivation of the Bush administration of an invation of Iraq is
to gain control over Iraqi oil (the world's second largest proven
reserves, behind Saudi Arabia), both in order to secure oil supplies and
in order to secure oil profits for the US oil companies.

Do you disagree with this?

Comradely,
Fred