[OPE-L:7844] Re: Help with interstices

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 12:27:05 EDT

Re: [OPE-L:7838] Re: Help with intersticesRe John H's [7842]:

Passing over to the substantive question, John wrote:

>  On Mike's question: Yes, I think part of the baggage of orthodox Marxism is the assumption that the transition from capitalism to communism (unlike the transition from feudalism to capitalism) cannot be interstitial. This seems to me to be wrong, that in fact the only way to think of revolution is as interstitial. This is not reformism or gradualism, but rather an attempt to keep the concept of revolution alive and central to our thought. <

I think this depends on the concrete nature of the social
movement in question.  E.g. I don't think that Utopian
communities -- whether they are religious orders like
isolated Jesuit communities or Hippie-type communes
-- are necessarily (or even typically) revolutionary.  Indeed,
some of these communities might even be reactionary
(e.g. Amish-type religious communities; survivalist
communities, etc.).

In solidarity, Jerry