[OPE-L:2923] Re: Re: RE: Zimbabwe Petition

From: nicola taylor (nmtaylor@carmen.murdoch.edu.au)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 16:09:01 EDT

Response to Paul C [OPE-L:2914]:

>I endorse Julian's sentiments.
>
>What the petition amounts to is demand that the rights
>of landlords be upheld against those of landless peasants,
>I have no sympathy with it.

What it asks is that you acknowledge the rights of the Zimbabwean people to
say "No" to Mugabe's attempt to break the law as and when it suits him
(bearing in mind that landless peasants - the vast majority of the
population - have already voted NO to his land grabs in the February
referendum). However, I see your point re the wording of the petition:
such are the hazards of united front politics [especially difficult for
people who haven't had much experience at it!].
comradely,
Nicky